Treasurer’s Cannabis Banking Work Group

July 5, 2017 at 8:17 PM

July 6th is the  latest meeting of the Treasurer’s Cannabis Banking Work Group. Here is the agenda and webcast info so you can tune in


June 28, 2017 at 5:07 PM

SACRAMENTO, June 28, 2017 – The California Department of Food and Agriculture (CDFA) is now accepting public comments on Requests for Grant Applications (RGA) for the $6.75 million Healthy Soils Program (HSP), authorized by the Budget Act of 2016, and funded through California’s cap-and-trade program.

The Healthy Soils Program offers grants to farmers who take action to capture greenhouse gas emissions, such as carbon dioxide, in the soil to help combat climate change. The program is part of California’s cap-and-trade California Climate Investments, a statewide program that puts billions of cap-and-trade dollars to work reducing greenhouse gas emissions, strengthening the economy and improving public health and the environment—particularly in disadvantaged communities. The cap-and-trade program also creates a financial incentive for industries to invest in clean technologies and develop innovative ways to reduce pollution.

The Healthy Soils Program will be implemented under two separate components: 1) the $3.75 million Incentives Program and 2) the $3 million Demonstration Projects. For the Incentives Program, an estimated $3.75 million in competitive grant funding will be awarded to provide financial assistance for implementation of agricultural management practices that sequester soil carbon and reduce greenhouse gas emissions.

For the Demonstration Projects, an estimated $3 million in competitive grant funding will be awarded to projects that monitor and demonstrate to farmers and ranchers in California, specific management practices in agriculture that sequester carbon, improve soil health and reduce atmospheric GHGs.

The RGA for both the HSP Incentives Program and Demonstration Projects can be found on the CDFA Office of Environmental Farming and Innovation (OEFI) webpage:

CDFA will hold a webinar on July 6, 2017 an 10:00 am to provide information on how to comment on the DRAFT RGA and answer any questions. To register for the webinar, please visit the program webpage at .

Comments regarding the DRAFT RGA can be submitted to no later than 5:00 p.m. PSTon Wednesday, July 12, 2017.

Mexico Officially Legalizes Medical Marijuana

June 20, 2017 at 3:46 PM

Today, June 20th, 2017,  Mexican President Enrique Peña Nieto officially published a bill that makes medical marijuana available and legal in Mexico. The historic change in policy for this critical Latin American nation marks another country that has welcomed cannabis as an important tool for healing the sick.

On Friday, April 28, Mexico’s lower house in parliament overwhelmingly passed the bill with a 374-7 vote. It was then up to the leader of the country to officially sign and turn it into law, which the President finally executed today.

In December of last year, the bill received incredible support from the Mexican Senate, with a yes vote of 98-7.

The recent passing of the bill in parliament was publicly endorsed by Mexico’s Secretary of Health, Dr. José Narro Robles, who stated: “I welcome the adoption of the therapeutic use of cannabis in Mexico.”

The bill will now authorize the Health Ministry to create regulations around medical marijuana use, including the production of related pharmaceuticals that contain cannabis. Products with one percent THC or lower will be allowed at this point. As well, cannabis cultivation for medical and scientific purposes will not be punishable.

Further, before any potential therapy or drug is created, Mexico’s General Health Council must be made aware of the therapeutic or medicinal value of the product being produced.

The Health Ministry will be creating more guidelines and a framework for cultivation and distribution in the coming weeks as Mexico moves forward with this new era of medical cannabis for those in need.

For the moment, supporters of this bill can celebrate with the knowledge that cannabis reform in the Latin American nation has taken a huge step forward.

Mexico Officially Legalizes Medical Marijuana

Sales and Use Tax for Home-based Business FREE WEBINAR

June 8, 2017 at 11:31 AM



Presented by the California State Board of Equalization


Do you operate a Home-Based Business?

Join us for a webinar event in which we will discuss how sales and use tax applies to various home-based businesses.

Learn about your sales and use tax responsibilities, including:

  • When you need a seller’s permit
  • When your sales are taxable
  • Calculating the proper tax rate
  • When to use or accept a resale certificate
  • Filing your Sales and Use Tax Return
  • Requirements of recordkeeping

DATE: Wednesday, June 28, 2017

TIME: 10:00 a.m. (Pacific Standard Time)

RSVP Today! Click Here to Register

Ask our tax experts a question by emailing us at HBBwebinar@BOE.CA.GOV


June 7, 2017 at 1:00 PM

SACRAMENTO, June 6, 2017 – The California Department of Food and Agriculture’s (CDFA) Pest Exclusion Branch is announcing one, mid-term vacancy on the Nursery Advisory Board.  The Board is composed of twelve voting members, each representing an establishment with a valid California License to Sell Nursery Stock.  No two members shall represent the same organization.  Members will represent a wide spectrum of the nursery industry, and the Board will be geographically representative of the nursery industry in California.

The term of office for Board Members is four years. This positon is a mid-term appointment and will expire on January 31, 2019. The members receive no compensation but are entitled to payment of necessary traveling expenses in accordance with the rules of the California Department of Human Resources.

In addition, the Board includes eight non-voting ex officio members from the County Agricultural Commissioner and Sealers Association, the University of California, and groups affiliated with the nursery industry.

The mission of the Nursery Advisory Board is to grow and maintain a strong relationship between CDFA and the nursery industry in order to secure the industry’s future.  The Board facilitates communication between state and federal regulators and the nursery industry, and it advises CDFA’s Nursery Services Program on policies, fees, and other issues concerning nurseries and nursery stock.

Individuals interested in being considered for this Board appointment should send a brief resumé to Erin Lovig, Board Manager, by July 6, 2017 at:

California Department of Food and Agriculture
Pest Exclusion Branch
1220 N Street, Room 344
Sacramento, CA 95814
Attention: Erin Lovig

For additional information, you may contact the Nursery Services Program at (916) 654-0435.

Bureau of Medical Cannabis Regulation to Hold Public Regulation Hearing

June 7, 2017 at 11:40 AM

The Bureau of Medical Cannabis Regulation (Bureau) will hold its third public regulation hearing in Sacramento to receive comments regarding the recent release of the bureau’s proposed medical cannabis regulations. The regulations include general provisions applicable to distributors, transporters and dispensaries. Public comment for testing laboratories will be held at a later date. All members of the public are invited and encouraged to participate.

WHERE: CA Department of Consumer Affairs Hearing Room, 1625 North Market Blvd, Sacramento, CA 95834

WHEN: Friday, June 9, 2017 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.

The schedule for the day will be as follows:

10:00 – 1:00 p.m. Public comment on the medical cannabis regulations for general provisions applicable to all bureau licenses, distributors, transporters and dispensaries.

“The proposed regulations for medical cannabis are the result of countless hours of research, stakeholder outreach, informational sessions and pre-regulatory meetings all across the state,” Bureau Chief Lori Ajax said. “And while we have done quite a bit of work and heard from thousands of people, there is still so much more to do. In order to make our program successful we still need your feedback.”

Individuals interested in reviewing the medical cannabis regulations can do so by visiting the new Cannabis Web Portal,

Those who wish to provide comment and are unable to attend this hearing, can get involved in the regulatory process by following the steps outlined here.

For additional information about the Bureau, or to subscribe to email alerts to hear about updates as they become available, please visit our website

Get your small business certifications

June 3, 2017 at 2:36 PM

Learn How to Get 8(a), HUBZone, EDWOSB, and WOSB Certified

Small business certifications are like professional certifications: they document a special capability or status that help you compete in the marketplace. These certifications can help you pursue business opportunities with the federal government and prime contractors who often have goals to ensure small businesses are integrated into their purchasing and procurement efforts. At our Federal Contracting Certifications workshop, we’ll give an overview and demonstrate how to apply for the following certifications:

8(a) Business Development (BD) Program

The SBA’s 8(a) Business Development program, named for a section of the Small Business Act, is a business development program created to help small disadvantaged businesses compete in the American economy and access the federal procurement market.

Applicant firms must be:

a small business in operation for at least two years

  • unconditionally owned and controlled by one or more socially and economically disadvantaged individuals who are of good character and citizens of the United States; and
  • demonstrate a potential for success

Participants in the 8(a) BD program can receive sole source contracts up to $4 million for goods and services and $7 million for manufacturing. 8(a) firms are also able to form joint ventures and teams to bid on larger prime contracts.

HUBZone & WOSB Procurement Programs

The Historically Underutilized Business Zone (HUBZone) program helps small businesses in urban and rural communities gain preferential access to federal contracting opportunities. The benefits for certified companies include competitive and sole source contracting and a 10% price evaluation preference in full and open competitions and subcontracting opportunities.

The Woman-Owned Small Business (WOSB) and Economically Disadvantaged Woman Owned Small Business (EDWOSB) programs allow federal contracting officials to set aside and sole source certain contracts to eligible woman-owned and economically disadvantaged woman-owned businesses.

Now, there are TWO ways to participate in this training; you can attend the workshop at our Santa Ana District Office on June 15th or you can log in to our Webinar on June 22nd. Please see below for details.

Agenda/Date/Location for the June 15th Workshop

Registration: 8 a.m. – 8:30 a.m. (PST)

8(a) BD Program Certification Workshop: 8:30 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. (PST)

HUBZone & WOSB Certifications Workshop: 10:15 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. (PST)

Thursday, June 15th, 2017 at the Santa Ana District Office Training Room, located at 5 Hutton Centre Dr. #900, Santa Ana, CA 92707

Click Here to Register

Agenda/Date/Location for the June 22nd Webinar

8(a) BD Program Certification Workshop: 9:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. (PST)

HUBZone & WOSB Certifications Workshop: 10:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. (PST)

Thursday, June 22nd, 2017log in information will be sent after successful registration

Click Here to Register

State Water Resources Control Board Releases Forms to Comply with CalCannabis Cultivation Licensing

May 23, 2017 at 9:36 AM

Below is a message from the State Water Resources Control Board.

If you are planning to obtain a California Department of Food and Agriculture cannabis cultivation (CalCannabis) license beginning on January 1, 2018, you must provide documentation of your water supply source with your cultivation license application. Certain water diversion types require completion and submittal of special forms to the State Water Resource Control Board (State Water Board) by June 30, 2017. Some water right types, including Small Irrigation Use Registrations and existing Water Right Permits do not require information to be submitted to the State Water Board by this date.

If you are unsure which category your water source belongs, or need further assistance, please  contact Division of Water Rights staff at or (916) 341-5300.

Business and Professions Code Section 19332.2 (b),requires cultivators applying for a commercial medical license to provide documentation to the State Water Board – Division of Water Rights by June 30, 2017 for the following situations:

  1. Water is already being diverted under a riparian right. An Initial Statement of Diversion and Use must be on file with the Division of Water Rights.
  2. Pending application to appropriate water.
  3. Water is planned to be diverted and used under a riparian right and no diversion occurred in any calendar year between January 1, 2010 and January 1, 2017; Form 19332.2 (b)(5)
  4. The water diversion is from a spring that does NOT flow off the property on which it is located. The aggregate diversions from this person do not exceed 25 acre-feet in any year; Form 19332.2 (b)(4)
  5. A notice is on file with the State Water Board for the recordation of groundwater extractions and diversion of Los Angeles, Riverside, San Bernardino and Ventura Counties; Form 19332.2 (b)(4)
  6. A diversion is regulated by a Watermaster appointed by the Department of Water Resources and included in annual reports filed with a court or the State Water Board by a Watermaster. The reports identify the persons who divert water and describe the general purposes and the place, the use, and the quantity of water that has been diverted from each source; Form 19332.2 (b)(4)
  7. A diversion is included in annual reports filed with the court or State Water Board by a Watermaster appointed by a court or filed pursuant to statute to administer a final judgment determining rights to water. The reports identify the persons who have diverted water and give the general place of use and the quantity that has been diverted from each source.Form 19332.2 (b)(4)

Again, if you are unsure which category your water source belongs, or need further assistance, please  contact Division of Water Rights staff at or (916) 341-5300.

California Industrial Hemp Law

May 4, 2017 at 9:02 PM

81003. (a) Except for an established agricultural research institution, and before cultivation, a grower of industrial hemp for commercial purposes shall register with the commissioner of the county in which the grower intends to engage in industrial hemp cultivation. (1) The application shall include all of the following: (A) The name, physical address, and mailing address of the applicant. (B) The legal description, Global Positioning System coordinates, and map of the land area on which the applicant plans to engage in industrial hemp cultivation, storage, or both. (C) The approved seed cultivar to be grown and whether the seed cultivar will be grown for its grain or fiber, or as a dual purpose crop. (2) (A) The application shall be accompanied by a registration fee, as determined pursuant to Section 81005. (B) A registration issued pursuant to this section shall be valid for two years, after which the registrant shall renew his or her registration and pay an accompanying renewal fee, as determined pursuant to Section 81005. (b)

If the commissioner determines that the requirements for registration pursuant to this division are met, the commissioner shall issue a registration to the applicant.


For the full text Click here


April 28, 2017 at 1:58 PM


(Sacramento) Today the Bureau of Medical Cannabis Regulation, the Department of Food and Agriculture and the Department of Public Health released much awaited and anticipated proposed regulations. These rules are intended to allow the state to meet the January 1, 2018 deadline set by the Medical Cannabis Regulatory and Safety Act.

The regulations now go to the public for a 45 day comment period. Comments can be made in a number of methods outlined on the state agencies websites. Comments are due no later than June 12th. There will be a handful of public hearings throughout the state. There is information about how to make comments on the regulations below.

More information about the regulations can be found here: