Popular Tags:

Get your small business certifications

June 3, 2017 at 2:36 PM

Learn How to Get 8(a), HUBZone, EDWOSB, and WOSB Certified

Small business certifications are like professional certifications: they document a special capability or status that help you compete in the marketplace. These certifications can help you pursue business opportunities with the federal government and prime contractors who often have goals to ensure small businesses are integrated into their purchasing and procurement efforts. At our Federal Contracting Certifications workshop, we’ll give an overview and demonstrate how to apply for the following certifications:

8(a) Business Development (BD) Program

The SBA’s 8(a) Business Development program, named for a section of the Small Business Act, is a business development program created to help small disadvantaged businesses compete in the American economy and access the federal procurement market.

Applicant firms must be:

a small business in operation for at least two years

  • unconditionally owned and controlled by one or more socially and economically disadvantaged individuals who are of good character and citizens of the United States; and
  • demonstrate a potential for success

Participants in the 8(a) BD program can receive sole source contracts up to $4 million for goods and services and $7 million for manufacturing. 8(a) firms are also able to form joint ventures and teams to bid on larger prime contracts.

HUBZone & WOSB Procurement Programs

The Historically Underutilized Business Zone (HUBZone) program helps small businesses in urban and rural communities gain preferential access to federal contracting opportunities. The benefits for certified companies include competitive and sole source contracting and a 10% price evaluation preference in full and open competitions and subcontracting opportunities.

The Woman-Owned Small Business (WOSB) and Economically Disadvantaged Woman Owned Small Business (EDWOSB) programs allow federal contracting officials to set aside and sole source certain contracts to eligible woman-owned and economically disadvantaged woman-owned businesses.

Now, there are TWO ways to participate in this training; you can attend the workshop at our Santa Ana District Office on June 15th or you can log in to our Webinar on June 22nd. Please see below for details.

Agenda/Date/Location for the June 15th Workshop

Registration: 8 a.m. – 8:30 a.m. (PST)

8(a) BD Program Certification Workshop: 8:30 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. (PST)

HUBZone & WOSB Certifications Workshop: 10:15 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. (PST)

Thursday, June 15th, 2017 at the Santa Ana District Office Training Room, located at 5 Hutton Centre Dr. #900, Santa Ana, CA 92707

Click Here to Register

Agenda/Date/Location for the June 22nd Webinar

8(a) BD Program Certification Workshop: 9:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. (PST)

HUBZone & WOSB Certifications Workshop: 10:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. (PST)

Thursday, June 22nd, 2017log in information will be sent after successful registration

Click Here to Register

State Water Resources Control Board Releases Forms to Comply with CalCannabis Cultivation Licensing

May 23, 2017 at 9:36 AM

Below is a message from the State Water Resources Control Board.

If you are planning to obtain a California Department of Food and Agriculture cannabis cultivation (CalCannabis) license beginning on January 1, 2018, you must provide documentation of your water supply source with your cultivation license application. Certain water diversion types require completion and submittal of special forms to the State Water Resource Control Board (State Water Board) by June 30, 2017. Some water right types, including Small Irrigation Use Registrations and existing Water Right Permits do not require information to be submitted to the State Water Board by this date.

If you are unsure which category your water source belongs, or need further assistance, please  contact Division of Water Rights staff at WB-DWR-CannabisReg@waterboards.ca.gov or (916) 341-5300.

Business and Professions Code Section 19332.2 (b),requires cultivators applying for a commercial medical license to provide documentation to the State Water Board – Division of Water Rights by June 30, 2017 for the following situations:

  1. Water is already being diverted under a riparian right. An Initial Statement of Diversion and Use must be on file with the Division of Water Rights.
  2. Pending application to appropriate water.
  3. Water is planned to be diverted and used under a riparian right and no diversion occurred in any calendar year between January 1, 2010 and January 1, 2017; Form 19332.2 (b)(5)
  4. The water diversion is from a spring that does NOT flow off the property on which it is located. The aggregate diversions from this person do not exceed 25 acre-feet in any year; Form 19332.2 (b)(4)
  5. A notice is on file with the State Water Board for the recordation of groundwater extractions and diversion of Los Angeles, Riverside, San Bernardino and Ventura Counties; Form 19332.2 (b)(4)
  6. A diversion is regulated by a Watermaster appointed by the Department of Water Resources and included in annual reports filed with a court or the State Water Board by a Watermaster. The reports identify the persons who divert water and describe the general purposes and the place, the use, and the quantity of water that has been diverted from each source; Form 19332.2 (b)(4)
  7. A diversion is included in annual reports filed with the court or State Water Board by a Watermaster appointed by a court or filed pursuant to statute to administer a final judgment determining rights to water. The reports identify the persons who have diverted water and give the general place of use and the quantity that has been diverted from each source.Form 19332.2 (b)(4)

Again, if you are unsure which category your water source belongs, or need further assistance, please  contact Division of Water Rights staff at WB-DWR-CannabisReg@waterboards.ca.gov or (916) 341-5300.

California Industrial Hemp Law

May 4, 2017 at 9:02 PM

81003. (a) Except for an established agricultural research institution, and before cultivation, a grower of industrial hemp for commercial purposes shall register with the commissioner of the county in which the grower intends to engage in industrial hemp cultivation. (1) The application shall include all of the following: (A) The name, physical address, and mailing address of the applicant. (B) The legal description, Global Positioning System coordinates, and map of the land area on which the applicant plans to engage in industrial hemp cultivation, storage, or both. (C) The approved seed cultivar to be grown and whether the seed cultivar will be grown for its grain or fiber, or as a dual purpose crop. (2) (A) The application shall be accompanied by a registration fee, as determined pursuant to Section 81005. (B) A registration issued pursuant to this section shall be valid for two years, after which the registrant shall renew his or her registration and pay an accompanying renewal fee, as determined pursuant to Section 81005. (b)

If the commissioner determines that the requirements for registration pursuant to this division are met, the commissioner shall issue a registration to the applicant.


For the full text Click here


April 28, 2017 at 1:58 PM


(Sacramento) Today the Bureau of Medical Cannabis Regulation, the Department of Food and Agriculture and the Department of Public Health released much awaited and anticipated proposed regulations. These rules are intended to allow the state to meet the January 1, 2018 deadline set by the Medical Cannabis Regulatory and Safety Act.

The regulations now go to the public for a 45 day comment period. Comments can be made in a number of methods outlined on the state agencies websites. Comments are due no later than June 12th. There will be a handful of public hearings throughout the state. There is information about how to make comments on the regulations below.

More information about the regulations can be found here:

WEBINAR: Controlling Weeds in Greenhouses and Other Covered Grower Structures

April 14, 2017 at 6:57 PM
Date: Wednesday, April 25
Time: 1:00 p.m. Eastern/Noon Central
You’ve got weeds in your covered growing spaces, and Dr. Joe Neal, professor of weed science at NCSU, can help you get rid of them by helping you develop a safe and effective weed management plan. Sponsored by BASF.
You won’t want to miss these! Register at BallPublishing.com/webinars.

Class teaches marijuana dispensaries how to deal with police raids in L.A.

April 10, 2017 at 12:02 AM

The “L.A. County Raid Safety Training Class” will be taught by Nick Morrow, a former county sheriff’s detective who says he’s participated in many busts. Organizers of the class, who operate under the group Angeles Emeralds, say they don’t intend to teach dispensary operators how to skirt the law.  read more

Recommendations on how to streamline MED and REC regulation

April 8, 2017 at 4:58 PM

California Gov. Jerry Brown issued a 92-page document with recommendations on how to streamline MED and REC regulation. The response from business was generally positive. Police expressed concerns that proposed rules would make it too easy for organized crime to become involved. Read the document here.

Drought Emergency Lifted By Gov. Brown

April 7, 2017 at 4:35 PM

The executive order issued by Brown effectively terminates the state of emergency implemented in January of 2014. However, it also keeps a focus on conservation efforts. The order states that water reporting requirements and prohibitions on wasteful practices — such as watering during or right after rainfall, hosing off sidewalks and irrigating ornamental turf on public street medians — will remain in place. Read more

Organic Hydroponics/Aquaponics?

April 5, 2017 at 12:16 AM

Should hydroponic and aquaponic crops be considered organic if they otherwise follow all the regulations set down by the USDA’s National Organics Program (NOP)? That’s still up for debate, but the crops subcommittee of the National Organic Standard’s Board (NOSB)—the body that makes policy recommendations to the NOP—recently released preliminary documents ahead of the NOSB’s spring meeting in Denver that indicates it will recommend against hydroponic and aquaponic practices being labeled organic.

That meeting takes place April 19-21, so we’ll have to wait and see what the board decides. You can read the full document here, which is filed as a discussion document.

Webinar on growing with LEDs

April 4, 2017 at 6:14 PM

Consider this your quick reminder to register and attend the webinar April 19 at 1 p.m. Eastern/NoonCentral on “Growing Edible Crops—Lettuce, Herbs, Tomatoes and More—with LED Lighting.”

Here’s the official skinny:

LED lighting technology is being used by more and more growers because of benefits that include faster growth, more flowering and improved coloration. Learn how LEDs can improve growth of lettuce, leafy greens, herbs and high-wire tomatoes and cucumbers. In this webinar, you’ll learn:

  • The benefits of adding supplemental light to your edible crop growing area
  • Factors to consider when comparing LED to high-pressure sodium
  • The effect of LED blue and red spectrum on crop growth

Our guest experts are Doug Marlow, Business Development Manager; and Erik Stappers, Plant Specialist. Both are with the Horticulture LED Solutions division of Philips Lighting. Your host is Chris Beytes, editor of GrowerTalks and Green Profit magazines.

Click here to register.